1. For longer system life, pump your tank every 3 years.
2. Do not put too much water into the septic system; typical water use is about 50 gallons per day for each person in the family.
3. Do not add materials (chemicals, sanitary napkins, applicators and so on) or other domestic wastewater.
4. Restrict the use of garbage disposal.
5. Do not pour grease or cooking oils down the sink drain.
6. Make a diagram showing the location of your tank, drain field and repair area.
7. Install a watertight concrete riser over the septic tank to simplify access.
8. Periodically have the solids pumped out of the septic tank.
9. Maintain adequate vegetative cover over the drain field.
10. Keep surface waters away from the tank and drain field.
11. Keep automobiles and heavy equipment off the system.
12. Do not plan any building additions, pools, driveways or other construction work near the septic system or the repair area.